
Robinson Township Historical Society: Groveton School played a key role in the community
In the late 19th century, the Groveton one-room schoolhouse provided education for grades one through eight for the families of the small Groveton Village. But it eventually bulged at the seams, and in 1921, two larger wooden structures were built as temporary classrooms while a permanent school was constructed.

The new Groveton Elementary School, built in the stately Colonial Revival style along State Avenue near Coraopolis, was dedicated in 1924 and served the community well.
The Groveton School was a true extension of home. Groveton native Patty Ropa Lanz remembers the school fondly. “It was unique because it was like a family,” she said. “It was so close to home.”

With few exceptions, children walked to and from school, and many walked home for lunch. In this tight little community, parents and teachers had close relationships. Many dedicated teachers are still fondly remembered, including Mrs. Holler, Mrs. Wilkerson, Mrs. Mapel, Miss Miller, Mrs. Houtz, Mr. Kirk, Mrs. Hoffer and others throughout the decades.
At the new Groveton School, each grade had its own classroom along a central hall. On the last day of school before Christmas break, students of all grades gathered in that gaily decorated hallway to sing Christmas carols, usually led by the principal.
Even the school’s basement held memories. In one of its two multipurpose rooms, once a month, the PTA mothers cooked a much-anticipated hot lunch for students. Besides hot lunch, these large rooms were used for music, library, art and gym. In gym class, kids played dodge ball, crab soccer and other games. On fine days, gym class moved outdoors to a basketball court and softball field.
Across the street from the school was Bures’ Market, where Mr. and Mrs. Bures welcomed children in search of penny candy after school. One teacher sent a specially chosen student to the market every day at lunchtime for a fresh apple. Also near the school was Story’s Confectionary with its own impressive selection of penny candy.


After finishing sixth grade, students left the Groveton School and were bused elsewhere to junior high — first to the high school building and later to the brand-new David E. Williams Junior High in Kennedy Township. Either school must have proven quite a culture shock after the small, protected school environment they were used to.
In 1972, Groveton School closed its doors, and Groveton students began attending the new Forest Grove Elementary School (now defunct) just up the hill from Groveton on Forest Grove Road. Today, the old Groveton School building houses the Walden Activity Center for the elderly. The familiar old red brick building still stands proudly where it has stood for more than 100 years, and it continues to serve the community well.









Leave a Reply